Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected.

    I honestly cannot count the number of times over the last 20 years, that I was out covering a story when I thought:  “This situation calls for a Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected, fully armored vehicle."   That’s probably because I have never once thought that our community needed such a vehicle.  So you can imagine my surprise when I was driving by the Sheriff’s office here the other day when I spotted this monstrosity.



What you are looking at is just that, a mine sweeping fully armored, six wheel drive transport vehicle.  It is, for all intents and purposes the property of the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.   That vehicle retails at just over a half a million dollars and it was paid for with your tax money.   The MRAP is one of nearly 180 of these units that the Department of Homeland Security has been handing out to local law enforcement agencies around the country.  For those of you who are math impaired, that comes out to about 90 million dollars worth of Mine Resistant vehicles.  I have been told that the Sherriff’s Office is leasing this vehicle from DHS for the grand total sum of zero dollars a year. 

    Now, I want to get it out off the top here that I am not taking a swipe at our Sheriff.  Quite the contrary, I don’t know too many people who would turn up their nose to the keys to a half million dollar vehicle.  I could certainly see myself being the envy of all my drunk neighbors down at the Redneck Yacht Club by showing up in that bad boy.  But I digress.  I am getting away from the point here.  I understand that the Sheriff intends to use this vehicle for his SWAT team.  For that to happen, the vehicle needs to be retrofitted.   I am not sure what this particular vehicle needs, but according to Undersheriff, Paul Trudeau in Jefferson County, New York, who also received one of the vehicles, retrofitting, will cost about $70,000.  That money is also coming out of your pocket. 

   Back in February, President Obama told the nation: “Weapons of war have no place on our streets”.  I guess he meant that weapons of war have no place on our streets unless he puts them there.  I would certainly agree that this particular vehicle does not belong on our streets. According to manufacturer specifications, this vehicle weighs 58,000 pounds.  It is so heavy that it has a very well documented history of destroying the very roads it is using to get around on.  If you read my blog, you will know that quite a few residents in this area pay for their own roads. Who exactly would cover any damage to roadways caused by this thing rumbling through the neighborhood?  Are we going to put that back on the residents again? Has the county even thought that through?

   Earlier this year, my son Alexander Robinson was home for a few weeks before he was deployed to the front lines in Afghanistan.  While he was home, he made it a point to purchase new uniforms.  YES we make our soldiers buy their own uniforms now.  He also ordered a bunch of gear online to have it sent to his deployment area.  I asked him why he was buying his own gear if the Army supplied them.  He told me that the gear they were being assigned was generally not very good and that to be well equipped the only way to do it was to purchase equipment for yourself. 


   So there it is.  We as a nation are failing to provide for our troops who are deployed, overseas, in a war zone, to give them the tools they need to stay alive and relatively comfortable on the fringes of hell.  Yet at the same time, we can afford to be sending half million dollar vehicles around the country to communities that neither want or need them.  I should think that these vehicles would better serve our troops fighting over seas.   Now, once this vehicle is retrofitted exactly what do we intend to do with it?  Are you going to load up your heavily armed officers and go blazing out to the next complaint of loud music?  If you listen to the tin foil behatted, the whole idea is to be prepared to strike down potential civil unrest in the future.  I just hope they don’t plan on driving down my road to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment