Monday, August 16, 2021

Some of my favorite places to eat. Part 1 (Eastern US)

      One of the benefits of traveling is that I get to eat a lot of different foods from around the country. In fact, I make it a point to strive to find the most interesting culinary delights and save them to my list of "must eat places"  It dawned on me recently, that it does me no good at all to have such a list since I have already sampled all of these foods.   Unless, that is, I can share that list with someone else.  So, Here it is.  This is by no means a comprehensive list of anything other than some of my very favorite places to eat. It does not mean that there aren't better places, but I am reserving this list to places where I have actually eaten and can speak for the menu.  Some of them are elegant, some are holes in the wall, but they all have one thing in common; they knocked it out of the park when they served me food.  So, I present, in no particular order, some of my favorite places to eat in the United States:


Maple Street Biscuit Company

39 Cordova St, St. Augustine, FL 32084


    In a competitive market like St. Augustine Florida, its very tough to survive in the restaurant business if you are serving sub par food.  As the name would suggest, the Maple Street Biscuit Company specializes in Biscuits and Gravy and breakfast/brunch items.  In the heart of old town, the quaintness of the eatery betrays the hustle of the tourists rushing around outside.  Affordable great food served in a very laid back environment make this a "must do" if you are in St Augustine.  Just come early and hungry, because there is always a line.  

What to order:  Biscuits and Gravy, Waffles.  




Hip Hop Fish And Chicken

6610 N Main St, Jacksonville, FL 32208

     The "quaintness" of this eatery, tucked back into the hood of Jacksonville Florida, might fool you into thinking twice about eating here.  It did for me.  I'm glad I stayed.  I can't tell you what it is about the seasoning they use for their chicken and fish, but I would not be surprised if they were sprinkling some crack in it just to keep you addicted.   The secret seasoning they use on both their chicken and fish keep a perpetual line around the establishment during eating hours.  So if you don't want to wait, come early.

What to order: Chicken or fish.





Papa Bucks BBQ

1085 S Lewis St, Metter, GA 30439   

    Sitting in the remnants of a strip mall with a dirt parking lot, upon approaching Papa Bucks, you will probably be thinking I have lost my damn mind--up until you walk in the front door and see the wall plastered with thank you letters from the Food Network.  A late 50's motif decorates this small eatery and provides a very cozy atmosphere.  The meat in here is simply unmatched. From the brisket to the pulled pork. All slathered in that Georgia style sauce, Home made of course.   The creativity with which they serve it will keep you coming back for more.  I can sum up this place with a simple story:  I sent my friend Nicholas here.  He called me that night and said:  "I ordered an entree. I ate the entire thing.  Then, I ordered another entire entree.... and ate that too".

What to order:  Scooby Snacks, Pigzilla




Macs Speed Shop

2414 Sandy Porter Rd, Charlotte, NC 28273

     Another BBQ joint, this time in the Carolinas.  Mac's has, because of their fantastic food and clean, laid back environment,  found amazing success in Charlotte. Leading to the opening of several satellite locations.  The Meat is always cooked to perfection.  The home made sauce is of course the "Carolina" variety and deserves it's own article.  Service is top notch, and Mac's is a Charlotte "Must do"


What to order: Burnt ends, brisket.




Genos Steaks

1219 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147

    Before everyone gets into a tift about Philly Cheesesteaks, I KNOW that every place in Philly has the best cheesesteaks.  I won't debate that.  I will just say, that my experience was hands down, With Geno's, AMAZING.  The Cheesesteak I ordered was longer than my arm.  I am not exaggerating when I say, It took me 2 days to finish it.  It was pure bliss of sliced steak and melty cheese.  You may find something better, but for my money, I'll stick with Genos

What to order:  Duh




Jake n Joes Sports Grille

25 Foxborough Blvd, Foxborough, MA 02035

    About a half hour south of Boston, this otherwise non imposing eatery seems pretty run of the mill.  All the way up to the point where you order the clam chowder.   Now, my experience may be a bit skewed here because it has always been damn cold every time I go to Boston.  But nothing has ever warmed me all the way to my soul like the clam chowder served at Jake n Joes.  I spent a solid week camped up the street, and it was all I ate the entire time I was there.  Like I said, maybe it was the cold weather, but I've eaten a lot of clam chowder, and I have never had it's equal.

What to order: Clam Chowdah'


 


Reds & Trudys

501 Portville-Ceres Rd, Portville, NY 14770

  I have said it many times: When it comes to serving food, do one thing and do it better than anyone else in the world.  Reds & Trudys has the market cornered on loose meat sandwiches, end of story.  I am not from anywhere NEAR Portville, but Introduced to me by Melissa over a decade ago, I immediately fell in love with the simple, flavorful, humble loose meat sandwich that is the back bone of this establishment. 

What to order:  Loose meat sandwich---probably should get 4 or 5 of them.




Charlie the Butcher's Carvery

770 Elmwood Ave ste a, Buffalo, NY 14222

   Upstate New York is famous for a sandwich that you may have never heard of, it's the "Beef on Weck".  Sliced roast beef served on a buttery and salty topped kummelweck bun.  My description will never do it justice.  There is much debate in the Buffalo area about who "was the first" to make it.  The fans of Charlie the Butcher sent me there to settle the debate, and I quickly forgot who the other competitor was, and didn't care.  It's an upstate culinary delight that deserves a stop.

What to order:  Beef on Weck



Dixie Chili

733 Monmouth St, Newport, KY 41071


      Cincinnati style chili is entirely unique unto itself.  Nothing else in the food world really compares to it.  Dixie Chili, based right across the Ohio river in Newport Kentucky is debatably one of the oldest Cincinnati style chili restaurants in the area.  There are a couple locations, but the small size, in my mind, keeps the quality higher.  They do sell their chili in cans too if you want to take some home with ya.

What to order:  Chili dogs, with cheese.



Melt Bar & Grilled

3921 Medina Rd, Akron, OH 44333

     Of all the places on this list, Melt may deserve it's own entire blog.  Maybe I am biased, but the 80's motif, along with the top notch food, in my mind, could not be beat.  I have, since Hurricane Charly took down the only restaurant in town that served a Monte Cristo, have been, on the search for the "perfect Monte Cristo sandwich".  I found it at Melt Bar and Grilled in Ohio.   This place is already spinning off franchises as fast as they can be built.  I am pretty sure that every single thing on the menu was offered batter dipped, and deep fried.    While their claim to fame is grilled cheese, I never slowed down to try it.  I stuffed myself with as much rich, fatty, fried goodness as I could absorb, and rolled my ass out the door---only to return the next day and do it again. 

What to order:  MONTE CRISTO!



I realized, after starting this list, that I have several dozen really good places that I just love to frequent across the country.  So, I have decided to split this up into several blogs to keep it from getting too lengthy.  So, if you didn't see your area in here or your favorite eatery, (not that I care what YOUR favorite place is), Just check back in a day or two, I may have gotten up the gumption to write the sequel.







No comments:

Post a Comment